In the past it was common to create complex labels by creating a new SAPscript form based on an ITF file. Normally you would receive an ITF file from an external source such as consultant or supplier for your use, ITF was a standard format to be able to send a form format to another party. Now that available tools are better, this process is not very common. However, a recent customer request inspired us to explain what the ITF file is and how to load an ITF file
How to generate a file
1. From your external tool (screen shot below is from Bartender Designer), perform an export and select SAPscript.itf as the option or as directed by the tool’s documentation.
The generated ITF file is a simple file that can be opened directly in Windows Notepad. A typical format may look like Fig. 2 below. You’ll notice that the file has embedded printer-specific code. This is important because the label format will only print properly on the printer it was designed for a family of printers. For example, Zebra printers use the ZPL language, which is broadly supported. So if you use a Zebra driver, the exported ITF format likely will work on a broad set of printers.
Fig. 2 Sample ITF file.
Once you’ve saved the file to an accessible location, you can continue.
Loading the file in SAP
2. In SAP, go to transaction (SO10) Standard Text. Give it any name you want, and select standard text as your language.
3. Select create to create the new text form.
4. From the menu, select Text->Upload.
5. In the subsequent dialog, select the ITF format, then select the original ITF file and upload it.
6. Create a new SAPscript form (SE71). Note: I used a dummy name here, but you’ll want to follow any internal naming standards, including prefix with Z, as per SAP’s customer naming guidelines.
7. Branch to the main window, select it and go to edit.
8. In the editor, select Insert->Text->Standard from the menu option.
9. In the subsequent dialog box, enter the name of the standard text you initially created in Step 1.
10. The ITF file is imported into your main window and you’re ready to go.
Advanced Solutions is a leading provider of third party SAP support, our experts provide Application Management services , post implementation support and are considered experts in their respective practice areas of SAP.